The IT industry is constantly changing and emerging with new technologies almost every year, making it difficult to hold on to something for once. The Information Technology Infrastructure Library, or ITIL, is one of the few things that is an established entity within the IT Security Management (ITSM) field. It is a framework, or the set of best practices, which is used to manage and deliver IT services. ITIL roles generally include IT service and support managers, Project Managers in the IT department, IT consultants, CIOs and more.
The amount of data a business is required to manage continues to grow exponentially, creating unprecedented levels of management challenges for IT professionals. IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) management practices address these challenges head on. Through combining the best practices of IT service management strategy with a deep understanding of business requirements, ITIL management allows data to be collected, analyzed, and distributed following reliable methodology.
The overall result maximizes product effectiveness and reduces response time. The power of the process is generated through high impact results that increases customer satisfaction and decreases resource expenditures. As more companies realize the effectiveness of ITIL management, the need for ITIL professionals is growing in many industries including healthcare and higher education.
Benefits of ITIL to Your Organization?
Successfully adopting ITIL with IT Service Management should deliver the following:
- A more professional approach to service delivery leading to improved customer satisfaction.
- Best practice processes will improve IT services
- Improved ROI of IT
- Through the specification of ITIL there will be improved delivery of third party services.
- Competence, productivity and capability of IT staff increased
- Reduced training costs
- Increased staff retention
- Reduction in hidden costs
- A clearer view of IT costs and assets
- Increased ability to manage business risk and service disruption or failure
- Improve positive relationships with customers by delivering efficient services to meet their needs
- Eliminate redundant work and improve resource utilization
- Maintain performance indicators for benchmarking and direction
Levels of ITIL Certification
There are four levels to the ITIL certification:
- ITIL Foundation â€“ offers a basic look at the fundamentals of ITIL and gives those new to the concept, the information they need to understand everything the ITIL entails
- ITIL Practitioner â€“ details the five primary ITIL framework phases
- ITIL Expert â€“ gives more advanced students a look into the finer details of the ITIL structure
- ITIL Master â€“ shows that the certified person is able to take the ITIL phases and implement them into a real-world framework.
ITIL certification can enhance the competitive edge of IT managers, directors, business analysts, and consultants. The ITIL certification shows prospective and current employers a strong level of commitment to personal success and demonstrates the drive to stay ahead of the competition in the IT field. By completing certification in an ITIL discipline, professionals gain a systemic and professionally valued approach to best practice methodology. The ITIL-certified professional can speak the same language as other ITIL professionals worldwide and will be able to network with a more elite group of professionals across a variety of IT disciplines.
Managers with ITIL knowledge and education can empower individual companies by accurately measuring IT service performance and effectively streamlining data management in ways that improve overall efficiency, response time, and communication within the company and with customers. As the data coming through IT channels continues to increase, so does the demand for highly-skilled IT professionals. ITIL certification provides an opportunity to keep ahead of that competition.