PMP AND PRINCE2 COMPARISON
There are far too many differences between PMP and PRINCE2, though the two are essentially complimentary as they each cover aspects that look at both, every detail of the project and the business aspect of the project. This essentially means what a Project Manager is expected to know and what a Project Manager is expected to do.
Â PRINCE2 Certification
- PRINCE2 Certification is a process-based project management approach that is considered as the de-facto standard used extensively by the UK government and is widely recognized both in the UK and internationally.
- It is a certification program administered by the APMG which originated in the UK but soon got recognition across the globe
- PRINCE2 is a series of management approaches that answers to what, when, how and whom in a project life cycle.
- PRINCE2 is prescriptive, but tailorable.
- It is a process-based approach that defines the roles not just for the project manager but for the entire team and everyone involved in the project.
- PRINCE2 Training organizations must be Accredited and hold a UK Government license to train in PRINCE2. Accreditation requires compliance against the UKAS Quality Management standard for training & certification. Trainers must pass an independent competency assessment before certification and are subject to independent competency assessments on an annual basis.
- PRINCE2 Certification program is encouraged hugely by an organization.
- PRINCE2 course fees include exam fee as PRINCE2 Accredited Training Organizations are permitted to invigilate exams set by the accreditation body.
- Certification confirmed within approximately 1 week from the training.
Â PMP Certification
- PMP Certification is the most popular credential in project management recognized across the globe.
- It is administered and controlled by the PMI Institute and is adopted worldwide.
- It is a knowledge-based approach to project management. The PMP exam is based on the PMBOK Guide that describes the core practices and areas of project management including the five process groups and nine knowledge areas.
- PMP is non-prescriptive.
- PMP Certification unlike PRINCE2 Certification focuses more on the roles and responsibilities of a project manager. Thus, both the certifications have different approaches and different values.
- PMP Certification is more of an individual approach.
- PMP training organizations must comply with the PMI training syllabus. Trainerâ€™s competency to deliver training is not assessed.
- Exam fee typically not included in training course fee as exams are completed at an exam center specified by the accreditation body.
- Certification typically confirmed within a month or more of the training.
PRINCE2 and PMP both serve well towards building up a rising project management career. A professional need to make a choice based on few factors. The professional who is looking forward towards gaining proficiency in project management approach with a project team point of view can opt for PRINCE2 Certification training. On the other hand project managers who are looking forward for an individual growth as a project manager may opt for PMP Certification training.
However, both the credentials play an active role in the recruitment process of organizations. Both the credentials have worldwide recognition and are valid across industries but both the credentials have their specific areas. PRINCE2 is favored in the UK and PMP is favored in the USA. Thus, the choice between the credential depends on the organization, project and your goal. As per the numbers, there are more qualified PMP Certification holders than PRINCE2 Practitioners. PMP is ideal to enhance capabilities and knowledge in a project management while PRINCE2 helps one to enter in the PM world and specifically to get a job in the UK.